10 modes of communication

10 Modes of Communication:

1. speaking

2. signing

3. gesturing

4. texting

5. video imaging

6. symbols ( ie- boardmaker)

7. facial expressions

8. computer- internet

9. email

10. music

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13th Video Social Preparation Stories

Today was fun! My group of 4 decided to prepare a story for a child with Autism/ADHD and Turettes that I know who has great difficulty going into the Washrooms at school WITHOUT looking under the stalls while he is there. We have adapted this to include Marnie as "Sally". We had fun using Elizabeth's iphone to record our video for tomorrow, and we nailed down our 4 main ideas for our script. Tomorrrow morning we will plan our 4 grids.
With the example we created in class today for the student who is obsessed with the mirror, I liked the use of "quiet mouth" and the reminder to create in the first person and in the present tense.
A couple of comments:
1. I like to use an " OOPS" Preparation story for those frequent times when schedules change in our schools beyond our control!
2. An SLP directed me to Super Dooper publications, which carries many wonderful resourses for children with Autism/ADHD.

Thanks for reading!
Bev

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check out the "OOPS" Preparation story during those times when sudden changes occur. This would have been helpful for me back about 8 years ago now, when I had a boy with Asperger's in my class who couldn't deal with change very well. I gradually, through trial and error, came up with a visual cue for him, but this certainly would have helped as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete